Friday, March 7, 2008

forced to upgrade - I need a faster internet

It used to be that I would upgrade my computer because I couldn't run the newest hottest computer game. The computer's got faster and the games would get more complex and computationally intensive. Computer's and software would feed of each other. Well that was a long time ago, at least in technology terms. I don't play games much anymore, although I have to admit Sins of a Solar Empire recently caught my eye. I just don't have the disposable time to play games anymore, and when I do pick up games, they don't keep my interest.

So now games no longer force me to upgrade my computer. Neither do applications, my office 2000 sweet works just fine as it is. There are a few pieces of research software that could be zippier, but mostly everything works fine on my Powerbook G4, which is over 4 years old. But I find what is slowing me down these days is not software or games, it's the internet! and I have a fast DSL connection.

80% of my computing time is on the internet, and I have high-speed broadband internet. But the internet is not fast enough for me. if you add up all those times waiting for pages to load, installing plugins, loading javascript, downloading movies, loading everything that is on web pages and web applications these days, it's a big chunk of my day. I want a faster internet. So I need to upgrade. But I can't. Upgrading my powerbook will only get me marginally more speed. I have the fastest DSL line I can get.

So I want to upgrade the internet. I want my google apps to load faster, my web pages to be quicker to load, and my video to be faster. The content on the internet is forcing me to upgrade just like those Ultima VII did years ago, except this time, upgrading my computer does little good. What I'd like is a faster browsing experience and a faster internet. Although just like with computers and games, as the internet gets faster, the content catches up to take advantage of the faster speed and everything slows down again.

No comments: